Sunday 12 October 2014

Maggie / Two Stroke Style Build Part 1

Back when I started the LW6L6SE  I had asked a good friend and woodworker to make me a finger jointed pine cabinet.   The cab was a narrow panel tweed style, taken from these plans I found online from Modulus Amplification for a Tweed Deluxe. I had him make it about 2 inches narrower than the plans, so it was closer to a Tweed Princeton in size.

He was nice enough to build a second one for me at that time! Said it was just as easy to run multiples while he had his finger joint jig setup in the table saw.  The pine was cheap enough so...

What to do with another Tweed Princeton size cab?  Since I  had wanted a new amp to plug in my Peavey PowerSlide and cheapo Strat copy, wasn't thrilled with the tone of my stock Epiphone Valve Junior combo and tend to like Fender amps I could just build a 5F2-A right?  But why not build something just a little bit different and maybe a little more versatile? So I decided to go with a design based on the Hunter Two Stroke and Weber Maggie.

The Two Stroke is an amp design and project featured in Dave Hunter's "The Guitar Amp Handbook" and if you are not familiar it's based on the 5F2-A circuit with a few tweaks thrown in.  The original (Hunter) design had paralleled octal sockets setup so you could run a pair of 6V6's, a single 6L6, EL34, KT66 or other tube in the same family for the power amp section.  On the preamp side a switchable set of cathode bypass caps to give some boost options to the single 12AX7, a fenderish flavour, a marshallish flavour, or no bypass cap on the first gain stage and the power supply uses a tube rectifier.

Hunter's original design and Weber's Maggie both use a 10" speaker combined with an 8" speaker. Victoria is now building the kits for the Two Stroke amp, and they have opted to go with a single 6L6GC and 12" speaker. The spare cab I have has a baffle for a 12" and I don't think I could possibly squeeze in the 10 and 8 combination, so I ordered a 12" 8 Ohm Eminence Cannabis Rex .  The speaker has received very good reviews by both guitar and harp players so I'll give it a shot in this amp.  I could always swap it out later if it's not really what I want.

I downloaded the schematic and layout for the Maggie as a starting point and ordered an 5F2-A eyelet board  for the project. The eyelet board will be measured photographed and eventually cloned for future projects. It's pretty easy to create drill templates in Corel Draw with a picture and  some measurements of an existing empty board or from a layout diagram.

The chassis I started with is an enclosure from Hammond it's aluminum 13" X 5" X 2", generous enough for the layout. Ordered some ClassicTone transformers spec'd for a Tweed Princeton, and already had most of the other components in my parts cabinet.

Part 2 the cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment